Don’t be nervous. This doesn’t involve cleaning your room, your car, or your kitchen. I’m not even talking about cleaning in a manner that takes much effort at all (which is the way I like it).
Since the summer (oh, glorious summer) is fast-approaching, it’s the perfect time to rid yourself of those old pieces you’ll (probably) never wear again. Don’t trick yourself into thinking you will, either! If it hasn’t touched your skin for 6 months, it’s taking up space. Period.
The process is very easy and I’m here to offer some helpful tips:
1. Get two bins. They can be actual plastic bins, trash bags, shopping bags, or any sort of container.
2. Mark them “Donate” and “Sell”. (Trust me.)
3. Go through EVERY SINGLE THING in your closet, in your drawers, on your shoe rack, etc. If you haven’t worn it in an extended period of time, take it out. If it’s in good condition, throw it in the “Sell” bin. If it’s not, “Donate” box.
4. IMPORTANT: Once you have put something in one bin or the other, DO NOT TAKE IT OUT! You will try to convince yourself that you could possibly, maybe, for the right occasion, wear it again. You won’t wear it. You’ll buy something new. Get rid of it!
5. Once you’re finished, go to your nearest Plato’s Closet, give them your stuff, and let them pay you for whatever they can sell. Don’t ask questions. Take what you can get. You’re making nothing from it while it sits in your closet. I just donated 3 bags of clothes, shoes, and handbags, and I got $121. I can totally use 121 dollars in new clothes for my trip
6. They’ll give you back whatever they won’t be able to sell due to brands, condition, whatever it may be. Put those in your “Donate” box. Then go to the nearest Goodwill or Salvation Army or wherever you choose that takes clothing. Drop them off and you’ve got some good Karma on your side for your good deed of the day!
7. Put the money in your bank account… Or, my choice option: Go get some new, awesome, bright, wonderful things for summer!
Happy Spring Cleaning Everyone!